That’s what happened to all Great Uncle Matt’s wealth, or at least that what Kate says Grandma Spellacy said. Uncle Matt was one of our many success stories. He set out on his own in what had been the family trade (working for the railroad) and rose to the top of his profession. He was a “Railroad Contractor”. He was the guy that got all the strings pulled together and got the job done. This Go-To guy had the gumption to have a town named after him and went on to take the Railroads themselves to Court. I kind of like that in a relative…grit. I’ve read a little bit of the articles available and it seems that these guys working the Railroad beds could be a pretty rough lot. To keep them “on track” would call for a pretty unique character and I wish I had known him. Anyway in researching that Rascal I came across a terrific website for looking up old newspaper articles, www.newspaperarchive.com seems you can look up 3 or so a day for free,you just have to sign up by giving them your email and making up a password, I’m easy…the email was free and it’s fun. Just a great resource for looking up old family information in newspapers from long long ago. So I’m off to look up Matthew Spellacy there. To those other happy researchers have at it at; www.newspaperarchive.com just give it a try it’s too much fun to read those old articles…I just love it, what a great life, “fast women and slow horses”. I think I would have really liked Matt.
- President Trump resigns..
- Paying your dues…
- Hail Women
- While I was chasing my last Cherrio around the bowl….
- The 5th Annual John D. Buskirk Golf Outing
- More “Terms of Endearment”…
- to the blessed virgin…
- For each and every action there is an equal and opposite reaction…
- When is a Corporation not a “Person” in the legal sense ?
- Did you know that MILK doubles your chances of BREAST CANCER ?
- Book Values and Availability
- Carallel Corner/ Carallelworld
- cleveland war veterans stories
- emmy legends interviews
- free digital photos for your writing
- free tv= hulu.com
- Google Book Search
- Internet Archive
- John Tidyman, Author, humorist and all around "right guy" by Jack Nicholson and Sheila Follman standards (pretty high!)
- Mount Pleasant Cemetary
- Newspaper Archive
- old newspapers thru library of congress
- Open Culture
- Porvo.com ; Words pronounced in any language
- Remembering John Buskirk
- Remembering Ryan Klesh
- sandysays1's weblog
- Songs and Lyrics
- ted themes
- The Onion News Online